The snow all melted and ran off and we found out we are in a drought! We’re dry. The ditches which always run with water in the spring are empty. Still, there is no cure for a drought like a good rain, and they are calling for rain this weekend.
I’m happy because I planted my oats/hay seeding the last two days. I saw John and his Dad in town on Tuesday pulling their purchased oat seed on a flat rack trailer. I told my Dad we’d better get our oat seed picked up.
So we picked up the oat seed Wednesday morning, and started discing Wednesday afternoon. We were worried about it being too wet, but it worked up nice, didn’t ball or stick to the disc blades. I let the soil dry for a day, then hit it with the disc again, then planted.
I thought it would be good to report on my planting this year, as I’ve tried many different recipes in the past, but have kind of settled on a favorite. All of the following figures are per acre.
2.5 bushels Jerry oats as cover crop. Plan to cut and bale sometime in boot/dough stage in June.
13 lbs FSG 408DP alfalfa. I paid a little more for this variety because they say it’s for hay or grazing, with lowerset crowns than the typical alfalfa. The crowns are where new growth comes from and they can be damaged by wheel or hoof traffic.
4 lbs Extend Orchardgrass.
2.5 lbs Gain Festulolium.